Monday, August 06, 2007

Sad News

Two days after we celebrated Auntie Ninang's birthday, she passed away. I dread calls after 9pm because I immediately think that someone has died or is sick or needs to be taken to the hospital. When I heard Auntie Patty leaving a message on the machine...she never leaves a message...I knew I had to get to the phone. We decided to go to the hospital and see her. Less than an hour later, we get there only to find out that she passed away. She would always ask, "Why doesn't God take me?" I would always tell her, "He's not ready for you. He doesn't have space there for you." So she got her birthday wish. And we're all left feeling a little bereft. I like to think that now she can see and walk without pain, even dance along a path! That she's talking to Mama every moment. I miss those days when the phone would ring and I'd answer and it would be Auntie Ninang for Mama. That hasn't happened for 7 years but I can remember telling Mama, "It's Sophie for you." How we got the name Sophie, I can't remember anymore. For a while there, Auntie Ninang used to call us at 5:30 on Sunday evening every week without fail. Then 2 weeks had gone by at one point and she called so I teased her about not calling the week before. She told me that she forgot. The calls never lasted more than 10 minutes, sometimes even shorter, but she just wanted to check in with us. Who's going to check on us now?

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm so sorry about your loss.

It's a blessing that you were so close.

Angela said...

I am sorry to hear about your aunts passing. I know you have such a close family. May you all find comfort. Hugs!

Unknown said...

oh vera, i'm so sorry to hear about your loss. you and your family will be in my prayers!