Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

I used to be one of those people...you know the kind... the one who disdained Valentine's Day as just another Hallmark holiday highly marketed by Madison Avenue. Some may think it stemmed from bitterness. The bitter taste of not having a significant other with whom to celebrate the day. Maybe so... But, maybe I just didn't get why it took a certain day of the year for significant others to remember to lavish love on their loved one. Shouldn't love be celebrated every day?

As an elementary school teacher, I've been the recipient of many a Valentine. From tear apart cards to well thought out letters to pieces of candy to full on large boxes of that sugary concoction, I've gotten it all. I would don black on February 14 and carry on with my day as if it was just any other day. Until one year...

I was teaching 4th grade at the time. February 14 dawned just like any other day, only I made a conscious effort to remember to wear black. I got the bags full of candy and cards. My family loved holidays like this. But that one year, I got a card from my friend who worked across the hall. Ironically, it was a Hallmark card. Inside contained a lovely sentiment as well as a handwritten note. Basically, my friend told me that Valentine's Day wasn't just for couples. It was also a day to celebrate the love we have for our family and friends. Finally, someone had the guts to tell me to look at it from a different perspective.

Today, I made the conscious effort to wear red. And, when I received an email from a co-worker that someone was wearing black because he didn't have a valentine, it was my turn to share those words of wisdom.

I searched on pinterest for valentine printables and wrote a nice note to my co-worker. While I don't know just how much my words sunk in, at least I got a smile at him. And, before anyone else suggests (someone already beat you to the punch), he's way too young for me!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: