Sunday, February 28, 2010

Earthquakes and Tsunamis

I woke up this morning to a bunch of emails and text messages about a tsunami warning for Guam. Holy smokes, Batman! What a way to wake up! Someone told me once that a tsunami more than likely will not hit Guam because of the reef. I so hope they're correct! At any rate, we do have tsunami evacuation areas and I pass one on my way home. I wouldn't think we'd have to go there since we'd be moving closer to the water to be there, but it's there nonetheless.

We do, however, have our share of earthquakes. The biggest one I've ever experienced measured at 8.2 back in 1992. That was beyond scary. Two buildings went down, not because of the building codes but because of some shoddy building practices. I think they were built on sand.

Back to the warnings. Our beaches were closed. That didn't bother me since I don't do the beach. I had to send emails reassuring everyone that we were okay.

Can we get a do over on this weekend. Stomach aches and tsunami warnings don't a great weekend make!

No comments: