Saturday, October 16, 2010

the one about journals

I have been a "journaler" since elementary school. I had one of those 5-year diaries, only I couldn't be confined to the 4 or 5 lines they allotted for each year. I guess I have always been a "rebel" in disguise.

I visit a few scrapbook message boards daily. And by visit, I mean scan and run. LOL I read that Amy Tan was doing an online workshop and was so intrigued that I signed up and bought her kit as well.

While I can't give the exact details of the workshop itself, I can share what I've been doing. I usually only do scrap stuff on the weekends, but making these journals were so fun that I did them one night before I went to bed. It was fun hunting for paper scraps in my bags and bins.

First handmade journal! Lots of different scraps here.



I am not adept with a sewing machine. I can't even cut a straight line WITH a paper trimmer so I guess I can't sew a straight line either.


Tried out hand stitching a title. This one says "AROUND + ABOUT". I'm going to use this one for random things I do around town.

I sprayed a shipping tag with Mister Huey's atmosphere by Studio Calico using punched out butterflies (MS Monarch) to hide the fabulous stitching. I also got the fiskars "in stitches" punch in the mail today and tried that baby out. You can see a peek of the polaroid stamp from Studio Calico's "On the Easel" kit.

I made this next journal yesterday afternoon while waiting for the wash to be done. The hand stitching goes by fast!

Here are the three journals I have made so far...

I also tried making my own "washi" tape. I had colored masking tape at work and a few permanent markers. I was waiting for my students to finish up some independent work so I went to town on the tape. Forgot to buy some fine tip sharpies while I was out shopping today. Next time...gotta put it on the list!

2 comments:

amytangerine said...

thanks for sharing what you've made, your journals look fantastic!

Diana said...

lovely =) I like the sizes you chose for your journals.