Sunday, March 06, 2011

Feelin' like a little PB&J

PB&J.

Peanut butter and jelly, right? At least that's what comes to mind when I hear PB&J.

Today was the start of 3 days of events with Fr. Leo Patalinghug. Father who? His last name is quite the mouthful. He's been on EWTN. He's even been on the Food Network! Bobby Flay challenged him to a fajita throwdown and Fr. Leo won.



After missing connections and canceling yesterday's events, Fr. Leo hit a few home runs with me today. Here's where the PB&J comes in. I thought talking about PB&J was fitting for a cooking priest. But, PB&J doesn't mean that sugary sweet goodness I still enjoy eating.

PB&J means patience, balance and JOY. Simple enough, huh? While his talks today were geared towards younger adults and youth, I found myself nodding my head and having some A HA moments. All three have been missing in MY life lately in one form or another.

It's hard to have patience when I've been at work ALL DAY LONG and have been pulled in a million different directions. I don't want to have to deal with the bills, the mail and the messages on the answering machine the minute I walk in the door. My mom and auntie need to see a little more patience on my end.

Balance. I still teeter on the edge sometimes. In the course of one day, I could be working on 3 or 4 different things...that's an easy day. The harder days can have me juggling much more than that. I'm not complaining. I love my job. I love the challenges. But, at the end of those kinds of days, I don't have anything left in me to balance out the craziness. Hence, the turning left instead of going straight I talked about in my last post.

JOY. Jesus, Others, You. In that order. Wow! Seriously? I'm last?!?! The lack of JOY is my problem. I've been putting myself ahead of Jesus and others. Heck, that's why I have a lack of patience and balance. *smacks forehead*



All this...and more...I learned today. In hindsight, I can now see why the possibilities I looked forward to at the beginning of 2011 have fallen by the wayside. So, really, my choice of this Lenten season to begin anew with working out, eating better and making my way toward those elusive possibilities was a good choice. It's fitting for the subject of month 3 in Ali Edwards' One Little Word class at Big Picture Classes.

It's all coming together. I needed a short Filipino priest with wicked break dancing skills and amazing tae kwon do moves to fly across the country to get me to OPEN my eyes.

PB&J...do YOU have it?



I can't wait till Tuesday! Fr. Leo's doing a cooking demonstration!

No comments: