Sunday, March 03, 2013

best friends

It has been an emotional week for me. It started last Sunday and continues to linger. You see, I said good-bye to one of my best friends in person on Sunday and in Facebook private messages on Thursday. My friend Kristin has been deployed by the U.S. Army for one year. And, while I'm not a spouse, or a child, or a grand child of someone being deployed, the emotions are still there. 

Kristin and I met in second grade. We weren't in the same homeroom, but we had Reading classes together. She sat in front of me. From that day, we were friends. We finally ended up in the same homeroom in 6th grade and then separated to different schools for 7th and 8th grade. We met back up in high school.

Our friends wasn't always filled with sunshine and roses. We've had our ups and downs, our moments of not seeing each other (yes, even on this 32-mile long island), meeting up at local stores and just talking about the superficial stuff. 

But, one night four years ago and another friend later, changed all that. We started meeting up more often for dinner, celebrating birthdays and holidays, just because days, and other made up holidays in between. Dinners that last 4 to 5 hours. Did we seriously have that much to say?

We've known for a year that Kristin would be deploying so it was no surprise when it did actually happen. The closer it got, the sadder I became. I managed to hold it together until she walked out of the building where we had lunch last Sunday. And then I fell apart with my other two best friends there to hold me up and comfort me. You see, we're more than friends. We're sisters of the heart, the sisters God forgot to give me. 

I found the perfect quote on pinterest to make this layout. 

Supplies: Studio Calico February "Front Row" scrapbook kit; "Popcorn" and "Matinee" add on kits; yellow small shipping tag; Silhouette cameo; Bebas and soymilk fonts.

1 comment:

mk said...

A perfect layout for your story. Hang in there.